There is currently wide and renewed interest in the research and development of electrical machines. On-going efforts are fueled by the need for the new generations of “green” products, such as hybrid and electric vehicles and ultra high-efficiency industrial and home appliance motors. The workshop reviews best practice for design of brushless permanent magnet (BPM) motors.
Course contents include:
- Mix of analytical and numerical method to give fast and accurate electromagnetic and thermal simulation methods.
- How best to integrate the electromagnetic and thermal simulation into the design process.
- Initial sizing followed by detailed electromagnetic and cooling system design.
- Concept design studies.
- Design optimization for a complex duty cycle rather than a specific torque and speed.
- Embed manufacturing issues into the design process.
- Model validation.
- Step-by-step guide on the how to design for a specification with design decisions explained including corresponding theory.
The example specification used on the workshop is for a small electric vehicle traction application however the procedure is common for most variable speed inverter fed BPM motor designs.